Tuesday, January 31, 2006

January 30, 2006

Dear Loved Ones,

I started my day pretty well, including talks with doctors and going to physical therapy with my favorite PT, Heather. We worked on electrical stimulation for strengthening the muscles in my fingers. After therapy, I talked with another Craig patient, John, who is on bed rest for skin sores. His accident is higher than mine only by about an inch, which denies him the ability to move his arms or hands. At this time, he is weaning off of a ventilator, the machine that helps him breath. He has been able to be off the ventilator for 18 consecutive hours, a major improvement from what we saw with John a few weeks ago. I enjoy talking with John although he has to put much effort into speaking. For the most part, I read his lips and he tries to push out air on shorter phrases. It is easier to hear what he is saying and feel his thoughts as he is able to enunciate and make strong facial expressions.

Dr. Alvarez, our hematologist, ordered another ultrasound for me today. He is concerned because my D-Dimer level continues to climb which indicates clots. I have another small clot in my right calf which could possibly explain the spasms and neurogenic pain I was having on Saturday. I am not on bed rest although I did sleep a lot today.

The Taylor family visited us today and brought “monkey bread.” Thank you. We also had a visit tonight from my cousins who live near Boulder. I love to talk with Nathan, Parker and Madeline. They always make me laugh.

I also had a big surprise when David Chandler walked into my room. Bishop Chandler is the dad of one of my good friends, Andrew. The Chandlers moved to Rigby, Idaho, about one and a half years ago where Bishop Chandler teaches at BYU-Idaho and has a consulting business. I have always been very close to the Chandler family. They have three boys, and their middle son, Andrew, is my best friend. I have enjoyed camping, doing scouting merit badges and all sorts of scouting activities, and shooting BB guns at GI Joes with Andrew, as Bishop Chandler fished nearby. I have always enjoyed Bishop Chandler’s sweet, peaceful, Christ like attitude and all the help he has been to me in becoming who I am.

We are thankful for all the visitors we have had and are sorry I haven’t been able to see some of the people who have stopped by due to my sickness. Thank you for the many prayers that are offered in my behalf. I feel like I am stronger because of you.

Today scripture comes from Marsha and Scott Nuttal Family, Mark 9:24.

When you feel weak in faith . . . "And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief."

Love, Ryan

No comments: