Friday, January 13, 2006

January 11-12, 2006

Greetings from Craig Rehabilitation Hospital

It’s Friday, the 13th of January, and so far it has been a great day for Ryan. Ryan is going to write his own blog about today’s activities later tonight but I thought I would catch everyone up on the activities of the past couple of days.

We are all settled into Ryan’s new suite and enjoying having our own bathroom and I have a pull-out sofa for me to sleep in. It’s very family friendly on the East side. Isabelle and Callum feel right at home and I think it helps the other patients to see little children. Whitney and her family spend a fair amount of time at Craig and Ryan loves to have them here. Isabelle is now a frequent wheelchair passenger and takes her position on Ryan’s lap very seriously!

On Wednesday night we all watched quad rugby in the big gym. It is wild! Ryan looks forward to the time when he can participate. I’m not so sure how I feel about it . . . there were two or three times when the player’s wheelchairs were knocked over!

Ryan continues to work hard in physical therapy. We are learning to use a slide board to transfer Ryan from his wheelchair to the mats for therapy and from his bed into his wheelchair. For now Ryan is using an electric wheelchair so that he can tip himself back when his blood pressure is low. Ryan does most of the work now when transferring and will eventually do his own transfers. As soon as his blood pressure issues are resolved, Ryan will use a light-weight manual wheelchair.

In occupational therapy, Ryan has been working with his hands to regain some dexterity. He can move all of the fingers on his right hand in a cupping shape but cannot move his fingers from side to side. His left hand has less mobility than his right. He continues to do weight bearing exercises to increase the muscles in his biceps and triceps. We are all so grateful for the strength he has in his arms.

Thank you for your emails, concern and friendship.

With our love,

Bridgette, Barry and Ryan

No comments: