Saturday, January 03, 2009

Faith, Family and Friends

December 22, 2008

This is always an interesting time of year in Chapel Hill! Student at UNC and Duke got out of school recently so we've been going on a lot of exchanges in other missionaries' areas.

Elder Milovich and I were with Elder Semler in a poorer part of Durham stopping by one of their investigators. They weren't home so we started talking to this guy that was holding what we thought was an energy drink. We told him about the Book of Mormon and asked him how the Gospel of Jesus Christ would be strengthened by having two witnesses of Christ's role as our Savior. We then realized he wasn't holding an energy drink but some liquor as he gave some random response about, 'I WENT to Catholic school, I know exactly what you're talking about.' While often friendly, people can't really feel the Spirit when intoxicated.

As we were headed to the next stop-by, these two little kids ran up to me and one asked, 'Wha's wrong wichu?' I said, 'Nothing, I'm just a lot faster than everybody else.' He goes, 'No you ain't!' So challenged him to a race to the end of the curb...it was close...but he beat me.

Elder Semler said, 'Do you want a picture?' and gave the little kid, Elsey, a pass along card with Christ on the front. He said, 'Wha' dat?' 'That's a card' 'Who' dat?' 'That's Jesus Christ, our Savior.'

It's always interesting going to different areas and seeing how Jesus Christ is literally the Savior of the whole world, and noticing how He saves us all from a variety of challenges, making bad men good and good men better. I know myself and my own weaknesses better than I know anyone else and I am thankful for the way the Gospel of Jesus Christ gives me hope and strength in my own challenges.

Yesterday, December 21st, was 3 years since I had my accident at work. A few months after my accident, our Stake President asked me to speak on what I was most grateful for. I focused on faith, family and friends. Those are the three things that have gotten me happily and hopefully through the last three years. I love testifying of the importance of these three things everyday in North Carolina.

The three are connected. The Gospel, keeping Christ's Commandments, is what makes us His friends. The unit of the Gospel is family, where we can obtain our greatest happiness. I love the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. It brings me hope and happiness continually in a way nothing else can do. And I am appreciative of you, my friends and family who I am strengthened by daily.

Thank you all for your love, letters and prayers!

Elder Walters

No comments: