Monday, January 05, 2009

Book of Mormon Challenge

January 5, 2009

I love the Book of Mormon! It really is the keystone of the Restored Gospel. In fact, Joseph Smith said something like, 'Take away the Book of Mormon and the revelations, and where is our religion? We'd have none!'

Preach My Gospel, a guide to missionary work, describes how obtaining and maintaining a testimony of the Book of Mormon is as important for a missionary as it is for an investigator! President Faust said something like, 'you can't raise someone above the spiritual plane you are currently at; you can't convert someone beyond your own testimony.'

In harmony with this, President and Sister Wallis gave all the missionaries a gift and a challenge this Christmas; a nice hardcover copy of the Book of Mormon and a challenge to read it from front to back from January 1st to March 1st. They also asked us to mark each reference/name of Jesus Christ, each time He speaks, and each time doctrine surrounding his ministry/atonement is mentioned.

I have loved doing this challenge. I have felt more at peace and closer to the Lord over the last week. We even extended the challenge to a member of our ward, and he is enjoying reading it as well!

I love the way I feel when I read the Book of Mormon. President Ezra Taft Benson, a modern-day prophet, said, "There is a power within the Book of Mormon which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the Book."

I would recommend anyone reading this to evaluate their testimony of the Book of Mormon and study and pray about the Book of Mormon. Ezra Taft Benson also said something like, 'at some time in our lives, each one of us must discover the Book of Mormon for ourselves-and not just discover it once, but rediscover it again and again.'

I am so appreciative of friends and family, Bishops and youth leaders who counseled me to read the Book of Mormon. I know it is the word of God, and because of that, I really do know that Jesus is MY Savior, Joseph Smith was His prophet, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Church that the Lord guides today.

I love you all and thank you for your love, letters and prayers.

Elder Walters

No comments: