We've been really busy in Chapel Hill! Sorry about not emailing last week! I was sick last P-day and wasn't able to email. I'm learning a lot out here, both from fun and not-so-fun experiences. This really is the Lord's work. It is not mine. He directs me on what to do and how to do it, and then I just do my best.
I've been really overwhelmed lately, but I'm starting to figure out how I can best help people here come closer to Jesus Christ. It was really hard at first, trying to get to know the ward, and trying to get everyone to like me and trust me.
I have reverted back to one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned in the last two years...just smile! At everybody! Whether they're smiling at you, frowning at you or telling you to 'go away, there's no soliciting in this neighborhood.' I imagine Jesus Christ responding to all situations with quiet dignity, just smiling kindly at people and respecting their free agency, while doing His best to teach clearly and powerfully. The message we share, His message, is the most important thing anyone can know, yet we must do our best to also respect others' agency and allow the Lord to work with people in His way.
I had a very special experience in realizing the Lord's hand directing His work about a week ago. On Tuesday the 4th, I had a doctor's appointment that I had felt guilty about going to, in that an Elder would need to go with me, and some time would be lost which could have been used some other way. I had hoped to be at the institute or with the Elders, working, doing something I thought I was supposed to be doing. Elder Cannon and I were just headed out of the hospital after an appointment, when a lady saw us, and came up to us. I am so sorry to say this, but I was thinking about the next activity we had planned, that we needed to meet back up with the other missionaries soon, that I needed to stop wasting time at the hospital and get back to work.
I felt so horrible when she said her husband was in the hospital and would really like a priesthood blessing. We got her name, number and hospital room number and asked if we could come by that afternoon and administer a blessing. We learned that the couple had converted about ten years ago, after reluctantly inviting the Elders into their home. She kept saying how thankful she was for them and that she would never forget their names. We talked with them for a while and administered the blessing and left.
The rest of that day, and many times since, I've been thinking about how the Lord's work is just that, HIS work. It is not mine. I do my best to do as He directs.
Love,
Elder Walters
Monday, September 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment