HI! We had the awesome privilege to be part of David’s baptism on Saturday. He was introduced to the church by his girlfriend, Beth, a member of the singles ward, our ward. Elder Kennah, Elder Johnson and I began to teach David about a month ago and he accepted an invitation to be baptized about three weeks ago, but I wanted to wait until it happened to write about it!
He is awesome, he’s super nice and outgoing, and really absorbed the Gospel well. He seems to really understand elements of the Gospel and sees how obedience to them truly will benefit his life. We shared our testimonies and feelings about the Gospel, and it was an awesome experience teaching him. It just felt so right. David asked me if I would speak on the Holy Ghost at his baptism, and said, “I love it when you talk.”
The three of us were really excited as we made arrangements for the baptism. David had asked Elder Kennah to baptize him and Elder Johnson to speak on the 4th Article of Faith. There was great support from the ward, about 40 people, and we were really excited (and nervous) to hear that President and Sister Wallis would be coming as well!
David wanted to share some of his own thoughts before he was baptized. He talked about how thankful he was, for Beth’s role in introducing him to the church, our role in teaching him the Gospel, and the ward’s role in becoming his family and supporting him. He said that the Gospel and his decision to be baptized just felt right. The baptism was awesome. A few years ago David was hit by a car, and now has a really messed up knee, so it was difficult for him to lean back into the water. A stingy baptismal witness, Elder Walters, noticed a hydrophobic elbow and made Elder Kennah baptize David again….and again. The third time was a charm, and it was so good to see the happy look on David’s face as he came up.
After David came back, I spoke on the Holy Ghost and the roles that He can take in our lives. I talked about how the Spirit bares witness of truth through our thoughts and feelings, like how Joseph Smith felt, when he read “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God” and when David felt the Spirit softly as we bore our testimonies to him. I also talked about the Holy Ghost’s role as the Comforter, described by Christ in John 14:26-27 and about a moment when I felt that peace shortly after I realized I was paralyzed a year and a half ago, at a time when I would likely have felt anything but peace. I love preparing for talks, as I have a chance to focus and reflect on one aspect of the Gospel. After the baptism, David shook my hand firmly, nodded, and said quietly, “Thank you, sir.” That was probably my favorite part. I know that the Gospel has and will continue to bless his life as he continues to live it, just as it will continue to bless our live as we strive to live the things that we know are true.
Love,
Elder Walters
Monday, September 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment