Monday, March 23, 2009

Hello! I am feeling better!

March 23, 2009

Hello! I am feeling better! The antibiotics are working on my arm and I’ve been able to work and teach Institute. Our Ward Mission Leader was substitute teaching for me the last couple of weeks while I was sick with a couple of infections. The ward was really kind to visit me. Two members even played a board game with me on Preparation Day. One of them, our Ward Mission Leader hates board games, so I’m thankful for everyone’s sacrifices on my part.

Before I was admitted to the hospital we were in the Emergency room starting at 3:00pm. We had hoped to be out of the hospital in time for a dinner appointment with an engaged couple in our ward, but there were a lot of people waiting to be seen. We called the couple and we all decided to just have dinner at the hospital. It was kind of them and a lot of fun! It was a good thing we ate, too, we didn’t leave the hospital until 1:00am the next morning!

I got a call from someone on my hospital phone and I answered, ‘hello, this is Elder Walters.’ I heard a familiar chuckle and voice say ‘you can run, but you can’t hide!’ Sister Gwyn came to see me in the hospital! She was in Chapel Hill for Visiting Teaching, but we don’t think it was a coincidence that the appointment was canceled, giving us the opportunity to visit.

While I was still in the Emergency Room President and Sister Wallis came to visit. Sister Wallis got in a little bit of trouble with my doctor for taking off my bandage to look at my arm’s infection. President Wallis said, ‘Well, they’re either going to have you arrested or hire you.’ I have appreciated their love and support so much on my mission. Somebody said that God does watch over us, but it is usually through another person that He meets our needs. I have found that to be very true on my mission.

President Wallis also talked with some Stake and Ward leaders to let them know I’d be willing to speak at firesides. I’ve had a couple of great opportunities to do so already. Our last second counselor in the Bishopric in the Singles Ward went to another ward as the Young Men’s leader (he’ll do GREAT!) and asked me to speak to the youth there. It was a great opportunity to meet people and feel their testimonies and spirits. I also had the chance to speak last night in Roanoke Rapids. What a friendly, amazing group of people! Everyone was so kind, and I got to meet a lot of them. I have loved the opportunity to bare my testimony to many different people on my mission, members and non-members alike!

I thank you all for your support and prayers! Thanks for the get well cards and packages, too!

Love, Elder Walters

No comments: