Thursday, May 18, 2006

May 18, 2006 - GOOD NEWS!

May 18, 2006

 

Dear Family and Friends,

 (Bridgette writing)  Our big news for the day . . . Ryan was accepted to BYU in Utah!  He can begin taking classes on June 26th, the second summer term.  Brother Allred called about two this afternoon after meeting with a committee of ten people who discussed Ryan's application.   After telling me that Ryan was accepted, Brother Allred said, "I want you to know that it was a unanimous decision and we feel strongly that BYU is the right place for Ryan.   We all felt a powerful confirmation after reading Ryan's application and the letters of recommendation that accompanied Ryan's application." 

            We all feel the power of your prayers as many positive events have transpired.   Ryan is feeling stronger every day and continues to learn from his therapists and nurses.  The insurance company will be providing a rental van until Ryan's specialized van is ready in about ten weeks.   They are also providing a minimum of three months for a rehabilitation program in Utah.  We continue to make the necessary plans for Ryan's addition to our home and we all look forward to being together under the same roof when Ryan is able to be with us at home.

            Ryan, Barry and I will be going to Utah the first part of June.   Ryan will begin the evaluation period at Sit Tall Stand Tall in Provo on June 6th and we will also evaluate the rehab program at Neuroworx in South Jordan.  Until we leave for Provo, we will be staying in a hotel close to our home after Ryan leaves Craig on May 25th.  Our tentative plans are for Ryan and me to live in Provo this summer until he feels confident to live on his own in on campus student housing with other BYU students.

            (Ryan writing) Ernesto Fonseca invited me over to the apartments tonight to play a card game with his family who are all from Costa Rica.  Ernesto was the third fastest motocross (dirt bike) rider in the world.  He was hurt on his bike in March of 2006 and has the same injury as I do.   His mother, Catalina, only speaks Spanish and I have a fun time trying to keep up with her.  His wife, Carolina, and Ernesto have been married for six months but have known each other for seven years.   It is always fun to see Ernesto smiling in the therapy gym.

            I've had fun getting to know two other patients who will be leaving the same day I do.   Candice will be going home to Missouri after being at Craig since September.  She hasn't been able to eat since coming to Craig but has started having solid food the last few days.   Laramie is from Oklahoma and enjoyed baseball and hunting prior to his accident.  (I'll post pictures of them tomorrow when I get to Craig . . . Candice is using her power chair to pull Ryan and Laramie in their manual chairs!)  But when Candice is in her manual chair, I help push her through the halls.

            I am feeling both excited and nervous about leaving Craig.   Especially now that I'm feeling fantastic and having so much more time to get to know the other patients.  I'm excited to keep in contact with them over the years and have appreciated the camaraderie I have felt with them.   I'm also really going to miss my therapists and nurses . . . luckily I'll be able to come and see them when I'm in Denver.

            I love you all, Ry Guy

           

No comments: