Monday, October 08, 2007

General Conference

October 8, 2007

Wow! What a great weekend! I don’t think I have ever enjoyed General Conference as much! As I noticed how much the subjects applied directly to me and this stage of my life, I began to realize how inspired these men truly are. More important than the exact words, I felt the Spirit show me what I could do to be happier and more successful in my life.

During a few of the talks, I realized that I was being given exactly what I needed! When Elder Oaks said the first line of his talk, about time management, I just looked up at the projector with my eyes wide open. I realized that his remarks, and others, were exactly what I needed to be happy and successful. I knew because of how I felt that what they were saying was true, and was meant for me.How amazing, to see revelation at work, through the inspired selection of new church leaders.

President Eyring’s talks were great. It’s interesting that even in his being called as a member of the First Presidency, he feels overwhelmed or inadequate. Maybe feelings of inadequacy are a reminder of how important our role is to the Lord, and how much we need Him, whatever our role may be.

We are at Duke University library right now, emailing our families and loved ones. We just left the special collections and rare book section, and had the chance to look at, touch and read from a first edition copy of the Book of Mormon. The librarian said it’s a very popular item to be requested, as the five of us missionaries watched excitedly/giddily as she went to retrieve the book. I believe President Hinckley said that a similar copy recently sold for over one hundred thousand dollars.

Something odd struck me though, as I turned the yellowing pages. What is so special about this book, verses the two dollar copy, I got at the BYU Bookstore? Nothing! They are both the same! The older is in a large, paragraph format, while the new is divided into verses, but truly, is there any real difference? Why is the copy I have sitting on my bookshelf any less important than a first edition copy? The real power of the Book of Mormon is found in every copy.

The Book of Mormon is, in a word, amazing. Joseph Smith said something like “a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts than by any other book.” President Ezra Taft Benson has said, “There is a power within the Book of Mormon which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book.” I know that is so true! This book is such a gift, reading it has made me happy during the darkest moments of my life! The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and has been restored, evidence of that is found as we study the Book of Mormon, willing to act on the sweet impressions the Holy Ghost gives us!

I am so thankful for your love, support and letters,

Elder Walters

When upon life’s billows, you are tempest tossed
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost
Count your many blessings, name them one by one
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

P.S. Laurel is getting baptized on Saturday, the 13th of October! I’ll tell you all about it in a week!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I loved Elder Oaks talk too! It's great to hear from you!