April 15, 2006
Happy Saturday Afternoon,
Happy Easter! It's looking a lot like spring in Denver. Yesterday, after my classes, Mom, Whitney and family picked me up at Craig and we headed to the Denver Zoo. It was 85 degrees and beautiful . . . so glad I got my buzz haircut last week! I was able to push my chair the entire time I was there, up and down hills and rough terrain. It felt awesome! Izzy and Cal took turns climbing up on my lap for rides. Whitney didn't bring their stroller so I was their transportation.
I'm also working in fit class on Tuesdays and Thursdays with a group of guys that are a lot of fun. They are all para's but me. Two of my best friends here leave next week. John leaves on Tuesday and Ben leaves on Friday. John will be living with his dad in Fort Collins and Ben is moving back to Austin, Texas. I'm really going to miss them . . . after awhile other patients become like family here.
Last Thursday, I had a follow up appointment with Dr. Brennar, my eye doctor. Both of my eyes had improved a little while I wasn't wearing my contacts during the last couple of weeks so I need to wait another two weeks to have two consistent check-ups before I can be move forward with my Lasik surgery. I was disappointed but I want to make sure my eyes are stable before surgery.
For the past couple of days, I've been out of my tubby-grips that I wear on my calves and thighs to help with blood pressure. I have felt more light-headed again and my blood pressure gets pretty low. I think in time everything will even out.
On Tuesday night, the Young Men from the Dove Valley Ward came to visit. Thanks Brother O'Niones and Brother Hicks for coordinating the visit! Last Sunday, Aunt Kalle's family came to see me and brought a great candy bar poster. They are always lots of fun. My cousin, Mercy, and her two children came for lunch last week with Whitney's family. I sure love all the "little" people who come to see me.
I've been making phone calls to all of the members of my Elder's Quorum over the past few weeks. The Elders and Priests, together with the full-time missionaries, are handing out invitations for Easter Sunday services and the Finding Faith in Christ DVD. They will be giving out over 22 DVDs and invitations.
In a couple of weeks, I'm speaking during the Youth Session of Stake Conference on "Agency." I've enjoyed preparing and reading for my talk.
I'm excited to start driving. I have two, two-hour driving classes next week which I am very excited for. I'm also going to be training on the new FES bike. It looks kind of like a stationary bike and I'll have electrodes hooked up to my legs to stimulate my muscles. I'm really looking forward to trying out the bike. I also have one pool therapy class next week. This week in the pool I worked on my backstroke. It's great to be in the water!
I want to wish you all a Happy Easter. It's so great to be able to go to Church and partake of the Sacrament and listen to the lessons in Sunday School and Elder's Quorum. I'm so fortunate to live close to Craig and be able to go to Church and be with my family on the weekends and have so many visitors.
On the door of my next-door-neighbor, Cody, was the following story, I would like to share:
Last April on a Sunday we took one of our "nowhere" drives, my husband was quietly driving a back road. I was occupied in the front passenger seat watching the scenery.
I noticed out of the corner of my eye that my husband was straining to look out my window. This startled me, since his eyes should be on the road in front of him. I asked him what he was looking at out the windows, and he quietly replied, "Nothing." His eyes went back to the road in front of him.
After a few minutes, I looked over at my husband and noticed a tear running down his cheek. I asked him what was wrong. This time he told me, "I was just thinking about Pop and a story he had once told me." Of course, because it had to do with his Pop I wanted to know the story, so I asked him to share it with me.
He said, "When I was about 8 years old, Pop and I were out fishing and that's when he told me that the Pine trees know when it is Easter."
I had no idea what he meant by that, so I pressed him for more information.
He continued on . . . "The Pine trees start their new growth in the weeks before Easter – if you look at the tops of the Pine trees two weeks before, you will see the yellow shoots. As the days get closer to Easter Sunday, the tallest shoot will branch off and form a cross. By the time Easter Sunday comes around, you will see that most of the Pine trees will have small yellow crosses on all of the tallest shoots."
I turned to look out the window and I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a week before Easter, and you could see all of the trees with the tall yellow shoots stretching to Heaven.
The tallest ones shone in the sunlight like rows of tiny golden crosses.
I love you all,
Ryan
No comments:
Post a Comment